[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Bloodred Forum - View topic - Favourite Concerts and Shows of 2014
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:26 am

Favourite Concerts and Shows of 2014 
Pounding The World Like a Battering Ram!!

Post Favourite Concerts and Shows of 2014
Favourite Concerts of 2014

I saw lots of band again this year, but after the top 4 below it is much harder to pick the next best ones as many were very good.

JUDAS PRIEST - Las Vegas : The band was on fire and played amazing , the sound was fantastic, and with a varied setlist that I really enjoyed. And I got to see them from the front of the stage in a smaller venue (sold out 2500 seats) as I had only seen them in Arenas with Halford before this show . An Awesome night !

(In Vegas I also go to see: A cool intimate show with KISS at the Hard Rock Hotel ; Sin City Sinners with Guest Todd Howarth of Ace Frehley's Band ; and the 'Raiding The Rock Vault' show with Doug Aldrich and other legendary musicains and singers ) .

BROWN SABBATH - Seattle : My Favorite club show of the year !!!! . It was a 9 piece band with Drums, Bass, 2 guitars, Sax, Trombone, trumpet, hand percussionist and an amazing frontman. The songs sounded very heavy, like the original but , but also had so many layers and variety that it was musical heaven for the ears. I never knew that metal could sound that amazing with the added instruments they were playing. About a third of the songs were played as instrumentals and WOW they were able to take the songs to places you just can't reach with a singer in the way !!!

They also have an album out that ANY Sabbath fan would love !

HAWKWIND - My First time to see them , and they were amazing , their leader was over 70 years old and still kicking ass !

GRIM REAPER - Was great to finally see a NWOBHM Legend , like Steve and his band.

Black n' Blue : Played a great setlist and sounded fantastic.

MOONSPELL -My first time to see this band and they were way better than I expected.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:02 am
Inadequate Little Brother of the Beast

Post Re: Favourite Concerts and Shows of 2014
Pentagram (Seattle) - I discovered them in '94 at the age of 12 & since then wanted to see them, twenty years later it finally happened and with the returning Victor Griffin on guitar was a big plus. Probably one of the loudest shows I've ever been to then again I was in front of Victor's guitar amp the entire show. While playing their definitive tracks 'Death Row, All Your Sins, Relentless', and 'Sign of The Wolf (Pentagram)' on this tour they started playing some more of their material from the 70's with such classics as 'Forever My Queen, When the Screams Come, Review Your Choices, 20 Buck Spin', and 'Be Forewarned' plus closing the show with my favourite track off Day of Reckoning 'Wartime' was a nice surprise.

Nik Turner's Hawkwind - Wasn't quite sure what to expect at first other then knowing it would be awesome & indeed it was with the sites, the sounds, the dancers, and at 74 years of age Mr. Turner hadn't lost a step at all. With the melodic era from Hawkwind to the more psychedelic to even the semi-mainstream period it all evened out and really one can't complain when hearing 'Earth Calling, The Awakening, Black Corridor, Children of The Sun, Silver Machine, Orgone Accumulator', and of course 'Masters of The Universe'. It was definitely a nice trip back...an acid trip!

Pilgrim and Spirit Caravan (Seattle) - Pilgrim are one of the best modern doom bands to come along in some time while developing the traditional sound. Released their debut "Misery Wizard" in 2012 but their latest album "II: Void Worship" is where they really shined & seeing them in person was a site with 'The Paladin' being their stand out track. Perhaps one of the most underrated trio's within the doom/stoner genre is Spirit Caravan which is a shame when you have Scott 'Wino' Weinrich (From The Obsessed, Saint Vitus, Place of Skulls, & Shrinebuilder) on guitar & vocals, Dave Sherman (From Hank III's band) on bass & back-up vocals, and Henry Vasquez (From Sourvein & Saint Vitus) on drums. This was their reunion tour and a superb treat to see another of Wino's bands (saw him & Henry with Saint Vitus three years ago) and they didn't dissapoint whatsoever. The biggest highlights...well first was getting to hang out in their vip room drinking up, sharing stories, and showing off our ink but as for the show it's self was hearing 'Dreamwheel, Courage', and 'Healing Tonque' along with them performing the Saint Vitus track 'Ice Monkey' and a rendition of The Animals classic 'Inside Looking Out'.

Primal Fear - Some may write off Primal Fear as just a Judas Priest clone & in some ways they would be right but by the same token they have come into their own as a solid band years ago and one can't go wrong with former Gamma Ray vocalist Ralf Sheepers at the helm alongside former Annihilator drummer Randy Black which make for a pretty stellar combination specially when playing everything between their "S/T" debut from '98 up until their latest release "Delivering the Black". Still makes me wonder though why Priest didn't grab Ralf to replace Halford back in '96 instead of Owens but suffice to say it was still the most fun I had at a power show in a long time.

The Vancouver Metropolitan Orchestra - Don't get a chance to see classical shows too often but the few times I have there always a treat from seeing The VSO performing work by Johanne Brahms several years ago to them playing Antonio Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons' in it's entirety last year then to The VMO putting on a sweet rendition of Georges Bizet's 'Prelude to Carmen' along with Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's '1812 Overture'. Plus this performance was outside of the deck by Canada Place so with the sun set in the backdrop was setting the right mood.

King Diamond (Seattle) - Prefer Mercyful Fate more than The King Diamond Band but having said the entire show was grand from the stage show to the musicianship all the way to Diamond's falsetto. It was the first time I've been in the historic Moore Theatre so that was a highlight right away and sure the lobby loved friend Kenny and I yelling 'GRAAANDMAAAAA!' for a good half an hour or so haha. As for the show it was difficult not to laugh while headbanging but entertaining all the same with 'Sleepless Nights, Welcome Home, Tea, Shapes of Black, The Family Ghost, Black Horsemen', and of course the two Mercyful Fate songs that were played 'Evil' and 'Come To the Sabbath'. Despite his age and history of back problems the King certainly had his range from start to finish.

The Tea Party - This was my seventh time seeing the Canadian alternative/hard rock trio and at this point not sure a bad Tea Party gig exists but do have to say this was one of their best performances to date with four new tracks from their latest release "The Ocean At The End" getting play 'The Black Sea, The L.O.C., The Ocean at the End', & 'Waters on Fire' that were all pretty spectacular along with old favourites 'The Bazaar, Psychopomp, Fire in the Head, Save Me, Lullaby, Temptation', & 'Sister Awake' not to mention 'Heaven Coming Down' that included a prelude to a rendition of Bob Dylan's 'All Along the Watchtower'. So yet another amazing show from this underrated trio!

Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - Saw her & company four years ago but due to some personal issues Joan had from the night prior she wasn't into it that much on stage but rightfully so, this time however she was in full Joan Jett mode from beginning to end. Nick and I were at her soundcheck early and caught her doing one my favourite songs from her Runaways days 'I Love Playing with Fire' sure she enjoyed our operatic moments during the set-up with her chuckling after the soundcheck was finished. As she did four years ago she opened up the show with 'Bad Reputation' then The Runaways 'Cherry Bomb' but this time around performed the first song she ever wrote 'You Drive Me Wild' while of course played the usual covers from Gary Glitter's 'Do You Wanna Touch Me' and Sly & The Family Stone's 'Everyday People' overall another fun time was had with Joan & company.

Death To All - It was great finally getting to see another of the death metal pioneer's Massacre who put on a more than stellar performance with a mix of stuff off their recent album & work from their classic "From Beyond" plus Rick Rozz's guitar tone has always been some of the best in the genre weather it be in Massacre or Death. Obituary definitely redeemed themselves from the show five years ago at The Venue with a much better setlist & quality sound, hearing them play 'Chopped In Half' & 'Turned Inside Out' was phenomenal. Despite never being into Death all that much they put on an amazing show plus seeing Steve DiGiorgio perform was a real treat playing 'Symbolic' & 'Pull the Plug' helped too.

Thu May 07, 2015 1:25 am