[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Bloodred Forum - View topic - Subwoofers in your guitar rig
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:09 am

Subwoofers in your guitar rig 
Trashmetal Titan

Post Subwoofers in your guitar rig
A few years ago, I tried out a Rivera amp which was connected to a Los Lobottom. It sounded frikken fabulous, but was hella expensive and way outta my league. They don't make 'em anymore, but I'm considering building a 2x12 300 watt powered sub with a volume and crossover frequency control, in a sealed box to fit under my 4x12 cab. Is anyone out there using a sub in their guitar rig that can give me a few ideas as to whether or not this is a worthwhile endeavour? Or if anyone else thinks this is an awesome idea, do you want to get together and build them?

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:07 am
Powermetal Pansy

Post Re: Subwoofers in your guitar rig
I've heard of a few guitarists using subs in their rig, and most say that they couldn't live without them now. Expect to re-EQ your tone, particularly if you run a bass-heavy amp like a Mesa.

The only actual guitar sub I know of besides the Rivera is the ISP Technologies Vector SL. Not cheap, but definitely drool-worthy.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:56 pm
Trashmetal Titan

Holy schnapps, that's pricey. I reckon I can build one for less than 1/2 that. I'll let you know how it turns out. If I fail, I think it'll still work in someone's car.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:17 pm
Bloodred Metalhead

Randall makes a 15 inch guitar cab

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Bloodred Metalhead

i play through a logitech sound system with a sub and it adds a lotta heavy bass, i love it

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:20 pm
Hairmetal Hero

I hate to say there is no Santa, but I find this a bad idea.

Low E on a guitar is 82Hz. There is only mud below that will interfere with the bass.

Most mixers will cut all the sub low on a guitar to make room in the mix . Sometimes it is cut quite high, especially in metal to make these super clean mixes. A Marshal with a 4x12 makes too much low end for the stage I find. That is why I was forced to buy an Ampeg SVT.

Maybe this will sound good to you but it will create problems on stage and for the mixer.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:28 am
Bloodred Metalhead

Leave the bass to the bass player... they need something to make them feel useful

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Trashmetal Titan

yeah, it looks like it will sound cool to me, but will walk all over the bassist's frequencies. if we ever find one. bassists? anywhere?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:28 pm
Powermetal Pansy

sage_chaos wrote:
yeah, it looks like it will sound cool to me, but will walk all over the bassist's frequencies. if we ever find one. bassists? anywhere?

Compound Terror from Victoria have 1 guitarist and no bass player. He plays 8 strings and uses 2 separate half stacks. For awhile he was using a Vader 4x12 cab with one head and a Vader 2x15 cab with another head, but last time I saw them he'd swapped one of thne Vader cabs (I don't know which one) for an Orange.

...then after finding a less traditional sound person or a basement DIY gig with a vocal-only PA you can use a 10-band or bass eq (or a DOD Meatbox and push out 30hz)

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Profile WWW