[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Bloodred Forum - View topic - NGD - Ibanez RGA8
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:19 am

NGD - Ibanez RGA8 
Trashmetal Titan

Post NGD - Ibanez RGA8
Guitar finally arrived today. A month on backorder isn't too bad, I guess. And it came with a super dorky Ibanez tour jacket. woo.

I kinda knew what to expect from this thing going in: the factory setup was going to be bunk with strings that are way too thin, the pickups are supposed to suck, and the EQ switch is supposed to make the sound go from suck to ubersuck. The factory setup was as expected, the bridge wasn't set, the bridge pickup was way too close to the strings, the neck pickup was way too far, the intonation was brutal, the thing wasn't even close to being in tune, it's as though all the parts were put on the guitar, some strings were wound on for show, and the thing was stuffed in a box and shipped. The locking nuts weren't even locked. So I grabbed a set of Ernie Ball 7 string Regular Slinky and an .080 bass string and went to work. After re-stringing the beast, adjusting the truss rod, and lowering the bridge a scootch, the setup is relatively remedied. There is a slight buzz on the lowest string (drop tuned to E, I know, who the hell drop tunes an 8...), but it is manageable and I think once the neck settles down overnight, I should be within range to get the intonation in order. On the plus side, I know how to do all this stuff. If I didn't, I'd be pretty choked that the setup was as piss poor as it was. The pickups are a pleasant surprise. Once levelled out, their output isn't too hot or fizzy and I seem to get a pretty round tone out of them. It should be noted that I like the factory pickups on my other Ibanezes also, so maybe I just have crappy taste.

Playing it is pretty cool. It took about 1/2 hour to get my hands used to the idea that there were 2 extra strings. I never bothered to play a 7 string, I've always just downtuned. Within about an hour, I was able to do a few sweep runs and actually wrote a couple of moderately decent riffs. I can see how some extra strings can be a good way to get out of a rut.

All in all, I am super psyched to embark on a journey into extended range guitars and this is a relatively inexpensive way to go about doing that. And it sure is purdy.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:30 am
Bloodred Metalhead

Post Re: NGD - Ibanez RGA8
what no pix

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Powermetal Pansy

That is one of my next guitar purchases I just sold my Ibanez RGD 2127Z 7 string , I am still using my ibanez T6EXFX with Active Emg's and a stereo jack (which is factory stock, except the strings). but that RGA8 is a mans guitar still maintains great arpeggio integrity and great low end. fucking sweet, :werd:

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Trashmetal Titan

Well, it turned out that the setup was far worse than my initial assessment. The neck required a shim to be angled properly. I have since re-strung it again. I've been using D'Addario Chromes .013-.056 on my other metal guitars, tuning them down to drop A. So I bought Chromes in .095 and a .060, so it's now strung with those on the E and the B, with a set of the regular strings, less the .056, going from E to B and a .010 on the high E. Now, for better or for worse, I sound like me again with this guitar. The round wounds just don't do it for me. The .095 on the lowest E really tightened things up. I can't believe this thing ships with a .072 that they tune to F. That thing must flop all over the place.

Now I just gotta wait for the other guitarist in the band to pony up for an 8 string so we can start writing songs for the band with this thing.

As for photos, bah, Ibanez does a loverly job of taking pictures of guitars...

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGA8

EDIT: turned an A into a B. Guitar is strung EBEADGBE.

Last edited by sage_chaos on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:13 am
Bloodred Metalhead

man i dont think my fingers a long enough to reach the top the board

killer score ,congratz

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:00 am
Profile WWW
Powermetal Pansy

Does it come with a stereo jack out of factory?

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Trashmetal Titan

It does, but it's just to kill the power to the pickups when not in use. it runs some sort of low voltage pre-amp off of 2 AA batteries. The guitar itself is mono.

As for fingers reaching across the neck, it does a very good job of making you put your thumb at the back of the fretboard the way you're supposed to rather than wrapping it around like Slash or something. It's pretty hard to put together chords where your thumb is activated in the fretting.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:03 am
Bloodred Metalhead

Reficul wrote:
Does it come with a stereo jack out of factory?

since when have Ibanez guitars come with dual pre amps that plug into a mono source :dunno:

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:00 am
Profile WWW