[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Bloodred Forum - View topic - Distortion Pedals
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:40 am

Distortion Pedals 
Mallcore Mosher

Post Distortion Pedals
Hey I'm using the Boss DS-2 right now for metal distortion. Just wondering if anyone has a better suggestion for getting a good extreme metal tone through a Peavey tube amp. I was researching various pedals on the net and I found the MXR Distortion which seems to get really good reviews. Has anyone played this pedal and what do you think of it? Should I buy it?

Last edited by destrukto on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:12 am
Not Even Close To Getting A Custom Title

Post Re: Distortion Pedals
What's wrong with the Peavey amp? What model is it?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:45 pm
Mallcore Mosher

It's a valveking 100. There's nothing wrong with it, I just like to have some extra gain during solos which is when i use the distortion pedal

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:26 am
Not Even Close To Getting A Custom Title

The guitarist in my band uses the same amp. I haven't tried the MXR pedal, but I do know lots of guitarists use Tubescreamers as lead boosts. There's a crap load of pedals designed for this, but Tubescreamer is probably what I would recommend.

Another option is getting an EQ pedal set to a flat tone but max out the level, so you get a volume boost. Chorus and/or delay can fatten up your tone to make leads cut through nicely as well.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:18 pm
Mallcore Mosher

Nice..thanks for the reply... I will check out the tubescreamer for sure.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:17 pm
Mallcore Mosher

The never ending distortion pedal hunt.

Try Fulltone pedals. I am using the Plimsoul. It has overdrive and distortion in the same pedal. You can mix the two together to get your sound. Mine has the distortion cranked with a little overdrive mixed in.

I have also had marshal govenor produce some thick tones.

Also over the years I have gone back to the DS-1 many times. A really great trick for the DS-1 is If you are using a power supply that can dial down the voltage like the battery is dying the pedal gets real fat.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:08 pm
Trashmetal Titan

I currently use a Tubescreamer variant as a boost. It makes an unbelievable difference. Have used the DS-1, a Keeley modded DS-1, a Metal Zone (if you turn the gain almost all the way down, that 4 band EQ is very useful), and a boutique clean boost as well. They all have their benefits and pitfalls, but the TS-808 circuit with a true bypass switch is the one that made me happy. Try 'em all, though. Your ears are bound to be different. I gotta say, I was skeptical about the Metal Zone as I had hated it as a sole source of distortion, but as a boost, it was very impressive.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:25 pm