[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Bloodred Forum - View topic - Victoria venues..
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:08 am

Victoria venues.. 
Blackmetal Blasphemer

Post Victoria venues..
Logans Pub - bands 7 days a week, fair pay and food for out of towners. Lots of regulars.

Lucky Bar - bands on Tuesdays/Fridays and early shows for special events on the other nights. Fair pay, honest management.

Evolutions Nightclub - bands on Thursdays, Good in-house promoter, but bar takes something like 60% and splits the remaining 40% between the bands. Atmosphere is decent, caters to a trendy, gothy, punk, metal, rocker crowd generally.

Sugar - Special events only, licenced, great sound, lights and stage, large capacity, but almost anyone can rent the facility and put on a show if they have the cash.

Sopranos - used to be the Icehouse, now its a Karaoke Bar so their sound system is CRAP. But they have a big stage, food, hotel rooms. Not sure what their band schedule is like, I think they just take on shows they feel will pack the house.

The Cambie Esquimalt - wow! they are having non country bands again. This place is like your bi-polar cousin.. one month they are all over metal, punk and indy bands, the next they hate you and will only have country bands.. next thing you know they will open their doors to the heathens again. This has been going on for years. Total dive full of alcholic milfs and retired dock workers.

Element - shitty nightclub that does special events. Stupidest stage in the city. Large capacity and good sound system.

V-Lounge - even shittier nightclub, wigger central, lots of shootings, but good for early band shows as they have a great stage and good sound, they also feed the band and there's a strip club downstairs. However, even their bouncers are dicks and have been known to beat up and handcuff band members racing in to get on stage. (although they claim to be trying to hire more mentaly stable staff.. )

All Age venues include
Victoria Events Center ( expensive to rent )
Fernwood Community Center
(neither of which provide a PA. )

metal friendly promoters:

-Clove and Anchor Entertainment
-Atomique Productions
-High Tide Entertainment (for BIG names only I think)
-Liam Lux at Lucky Bar
-Niko Blu at Evolutions

and of course visit http://www.livevictoria.com for EVERY venue, promoter, service and show listing in the city!

Last edited by Mike S on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:31 pm
Borderline Pleasant QUEEN BEE

Post Re: Victoria venues..
Wow! Thanks Mike, very informative and comprehensive! :horns: :horns:

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:35 am
Borderline Pleasant 0MN1G33K

Makes me wish I'd been in Vic for more than one day!

Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Bloodred Metalhead

hey what about the red jacket?

Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:02 am
Bloodred Metalhead

oh, and the james bay community centre.. not sure if they still do hardcore shows but they always did when i was in high school.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:04 am
Trashmetal Titan

Location: In Between KVLT and FAGO.....subletting a Finnish Goat Hut
I saw Allfather/Funerary Call and a hopeless BM band (with a chick bass player that tried doing 'evil' poetry in the middle of the set, Inhuman I think they were called) a few years ago at Lucky bar.....good night all in all.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:13 pm
Blackmetal Blasphemer

Red Jacket - left this one out as Ive personally never seen a show here and am not sure what shows there are all about.. shows that do happen are on wednesday nights, and every other night of the week its a Top40/Hip Hop dance club. Same management as Sugar and one of the Red jacket managers used to book some metal/hardcore shows around town with Livevic Scott. The management at Red Jacket are cool guys. Not sure if they've built up the 'buzz' that they have bands and from what I hear turnouts are small and mainly based on the bands friends showing up. (vs other more known band clubs in town that can attract crowds due to their rep as live venues )

James Bay Com Centre is also an option, similar to the other all ages venues here, someone books the room ($) and supplies their own PA and promotion. Basically private shows.. Played there in the past, bands play on the floor in a small room that might fit 50 people. The promoter that booked the majority of heavy and hardcore shows here for many years moved away ( that being reknowned B-gore flick director Brian Clement )

Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:33 pm
Powermetal Pansy

Excellent explainations! Thanks!!

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:38 pm
Trashmetal Titan

Camas Books - All ages venue, run by a bunch an anarcho folks. However, this means that the venue is pretty much FREE! All they ask for is a donation. No PA as to be expected. Really central location on major bus routes - not downtown but not too far out. Small. Potential for actual decent sound .. who would have thought!?

Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:09 pm
Blackmetal Blasphemer

Mutilashawn wrote:
Camas Books - All ages venue, run by a bunch an anarcho folks. However, this means that the venue is pretty much FREE! All they ask for is a donation. No PA as to be expected. Really central location on major bus routes - not downtown but not too far out. Small. Potential for actual decent sound .. who would have thought!?

yeh! I directed a friends teenage son to a show there last night,, He has just moved here from TO a few weeks ago. His first local show, he said it was good.

Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:56 pm
Bloodred Metalhead

I feel ike I should update this to reflect the venues that I know of that are still doing metal shows (not all ager venues though)

V-Lounge (has moved almost all live music to Thursdays)
Lucky (rarely hosts metal)
Rehab (formerly Evolution.. avoid at all costs)
Logan's Pub (Will do weekends if booked early enough)

Thu May 05, 2011 10:33 am
Profile WWW